PhD in Medical Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 2010
M.S. in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 2004
M.S. in Biotechnical Engineering, De Nayer Instituut, 2003
B.S Pharmaceutical and Biological Techniques, Erasmushogeschool Brussel, 2001
Tomas Bos received his PhD in Medical Sciences from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium in 2010. Dr. Bos investigated during his PhD novel ways to deliver lentiviral vectors more efficiently to cancer cells. Another focus during his PhD was the explodingfield of epigenetics. He identified novel epigenetic layers in the regulation of the pro-apoptotic Bim protein in Multiple Myeloma. More specific, he showed that the IGF1 growth factor is directly involved in modifying the epigenetic signature of both the Bim and the FoxO3A promoter. His wide interest in science resulted in publications in very diverse fields ranging from diabetes to in vivo small animal imaging and in the Emmanuel Vander Schueren Award. Before joining the Yeo lab, he stayed a fewmonths at the Salk Institute in the department of Regulatory Biology to study the role of CTCF in breast cancer. Dr. Bos is now studying the role of RNA-binding proteins (RBPs) in alternative splicing of pre-mRNA. Other projects he is involved in are the use of genomic engineering tools (TALEN and CRIPR/CAS) to engineer recombinant cell lines, the ENCODE project studying the sequence specificity of RBPs in RNA and the family of ADAR proteins Dr. Bos is funded by the Belgian American Education Foundation (BAEF) and is a Hoover Foundation Brussels Fellow.
- Goethals LR, Bos TJ, Baeyens L, De Geeter F, Devoogdt N, Lahoutte T. Camelid reporter gene imaging: a generic method for in vivo cell tracking. EJNMMI Res. 2014;4(1):32. doi:10.1186/s13550-014-0032-8.
- Dmitriev P, Petrov A, Ansseau E, et al. The Krüppel-like factor 15 as a molecular link between myogenic factors and a chromosome 4q transcriptional enhancer implicated in facioscapulohumeral dystrophy. J Biol Chem. 2011;286(52):44620-44631. doi:10.1074/jbc.M111.254052.
- Emeagi PU, Van Lint S, Goyvaerts C, et al. Proinflammatory characteristics of SMAC/DIABLO-induced cell death in antitumor therapy. Cancer Res. 2012;72(6):1342-1352. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-2400.
- De Bruyne E, Bos TJ, Asosingh K, et al. Epigenetic silencing of the tetraspanin CD9 during disease progression in multiple myeloma cells and correlation with survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14(10):2918-2926. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-4489.
- Bos TJ, De Bruyne E, Van Lint S, Heirman C, Vanderkerken K. Large double copy vectors are functional but show a size-dependent decline in transduction efficiency. J Biotechnol. 2010;150(1):37-40. doi:10.1016/j.jbiotec.2010.07.010.
- Caers J, Hose D, Kuipers I, et al. Thymosin β4 has tumor suppressive effects and its decreased expression results in poor prognosis and decreased survival in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2010;95(1):163-167. doi:10.3324/haematol.2009.006411.
- Baeyens L, Bonné S, Bos TJ, et al. Notch signaling as gatekeeper of rat acinar-to-beta-cell conversion in vitro. Gastroenterology. 2009;136(5):1750–60.e13. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2009.01.047.
- De Bruyne E, Bos TJ, Schuit F, et al. IGF-1 suppresses Bim expression in multiple myeloma via epigenetic and posttranslational mechanisms. Blood. 2010;115(12):2430-2440. doi:10.1182/blood-2009-07-232801.
- Keyaerts M, Remory I, Caveliers V, et al. Inhibition of firefly luciferase by general anesthetics: effect on in vitro and in vivo bioluminescence imaging. Hamblin M, ed. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(1):e30061. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0030061.
- Bos TJ, De Bruyne E, Heirman C, Vanderkerken K. In search of the most suitable lentiviral shRNA system. Curr Gene Ther. 2009;9(3):192-211.
- Bonehill A, Tuyaerts S, Van Nuffel AMT, et al. Enhancing the T-cell stimulatory capacity of human dendritic cells by co-electroporation with CD40L, CD70 and constitutively active TLR4 encoding mRNA. Mol Ther. 2008;16(6):1170-1180. doi:10.1038/mt.2008.77.
- Keyaerts M, Verschueren J, Bos TJ, et al. Dynamic bioluminescence imaging for quantitative tumour burden assessment using IV or IP administration of D: -luciferin: effect on intensity, time kinetics and repeatability of photon emission. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2008;35(5):999-1007. doi:10.1007/s00259-007-0664-2.